Sunday, February 16, 2014

'MC Loph & I Were Not Friends At All, We Just Did A Song Together' -Flavour



Flavour has been accused of abandoning his close friend Mc Loph's now late mum and son after his death. But in a recent interview, Flavour broke his silence and cleared the air about his relationship with the late singer.
Excerpts: The death of your colleague, MC Loph, generated a lot of controversies; it was alleged that you abandoned his mother when he died.




MC Loph and I weren't as close as people thought. I met Loph through Mr. Raw when I came to Lagos. He wanted me to produce for him the same way I was producing for Mr. Raw. Somehow, we came together and we did the Osondi Owendi song. We later found out that we came from the same village.
Was there an issue after the song was released?
I played a very big part in the song. People would always want me to perform the song. But I couldn't. What is the essence of collaborating when you cannot play the song? It didn't make any sense. He said people told him I was performing his song. I felt, 'oh, it is now your song?' That was the last time we really spoke to each other. I decided to 'free' him.
So he told you not to perform the song?
Yes. He didn't pay me to feature in the song. My voice was significant in the song. He was more popular than me in Lagos then. But I was more popular in the East. So if I was called to come and perform at shows, I would tell them to call MC Loph and pay him since I couldn't feature the song. I did a song with Tiwa. I don't mind if she performs the song. People would think of Flavour if she performs the song. That is the essence of collaboration. I don't even rap. I wouldn't have tried to take his line because I don't know how to rap.
Did you ever meet his mother?
I met his mother just once in my life. We went for a show at Nnewi (Anambra State) and we passed through our village. He got down to see his mother and I followed him. I greeted her and I gave her money that day. She was very happy. We left. I was surprised when people started saying I abandoned his mother when he died. It is not fair to talk about this since he is no more.
But then, I feel it is time I became honest and open up because people have said a lot of things about me. It is not fair. He never greeted my father one day, let alone visiting him. But I couldn't confront him because of that. I felt he didn't have any business with my father. He could choose to greet him or not. We were not related, we just came from the same village.
Are you saying you people were not friends?
We were not friends at all. We just did a song together. People just had a misconception about the whole thing. I never told anybody this before and I still insist it is not something we should talk about.
Why didn't you attend his burial ceremony?
I had a show. My mother went on our behalf. Some members of my staff went as well. In my place, they say condolence never expires. I can still walk up to that family and condole with them. My brother died and I wasn't there. We had a show as well. It wasn't anything personal. My father understood that I couldn't come for my brother's burial because I wasn't around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...