Wednesday, March 05, 2014

What's the view about a woman not wanting to change to her husband's name?... the Chimamanda Adichie case

So because prolific writer Chimamanda Adichie asked to be addressed as a Ms and not a Mrs, some people are assuming she's separated from her US-based husband, Dr. Ivara Esega?

In an interview with Sun Newspaper on Saturday March 1, Ms Adichie told the interviewer who addressed her as Mrs Chimamanda Adichie, to simply call her Chimamanda Adichie.

“Before we start (the interview), please, I just want to say that my name is Chimamanda Adichie. That’s how I want it; that’s how I’m addressed, and it is not Mrs but Miss. Ms: that’s how I want it. I am saying this, because I just got a mail from my manager this morning. It seems that there are people who attended the church service, and they wrote about it, addressing me as Mrs. Chimamanda (Esega). I didn’t like that at all. So my name is Chimamanda Adichie, full stop!”
Is there anything wrong with what Ms Adichie said? If you go back to history, African women didn't bear their husbands name until the advent of colonization. They bear their parents name. And it's especially difficult if you have already made a name for yourself with your maiden name. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...