Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Iyanya - Nigerian entertainers are forced to live large




During a recent interview with Encomium magazine, singer Iyanya gave an insight into why some Nigerian entertainers are forced to live large. Excerpts...
"Why do you think some artistes come come up with hit songs and find it difficult to maintain it?"
Iyanya "Music is very expensive. Most of them make money and its had to put it back in the same thing. Your next money is not guaranteed because there are lots of artistes. If you say you wouldn't do show A, they can take artiste B for that show. It doesn't mean that because you have a hit song, you would be performing at all shows. It doesn't work like that. So, some of these guys, its hard for them. Its hard for them to follow up. Follow up is the hardest thing to do. Many artistes make a hit but the money they make from that hit is not even enough for them to support or sponsor the next video. So don't blame them'. 

 
So they need a lot of money to remain relevant?
Iyanya "Yes. Let me give you an instance. I had a show here in Lagos, I was in Dubai. They made a mistake and booked my flight for Monday and the show was on Sunday. We rushed to the airport, they said no that my ticket was for the next day. After much pleading and explaining that I had a show that night in Lagos, they said alright. I could board but not business class since it wasn't my flight. I had to fly economy class with my business class ticket. Sitting down there, people around where staring at me like what am I doing here. A woman even walked up to me and said "Iyanya, you no suppose dey here now, na the other side you suppose dey". What came to my mind next was that I can't just decide to fly economy today, it will become gist. I have to work hard, I have to make money, to live up to your expectations. It's not like am living my life for you but its the life I chose. So, I have to do it".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...