Monday, December 09, 2013

Juliet Ibrahim Sheds Some Light On Being “Half Caste” & Her “QuarterCaste” Husband

juliet-ibrahim-5

Ghanaian actress Juliet Ibrahim is beginning to get more recognition in Nigeria, thanks to numerous red carpet appearances & that incident criticizing OJB Jezreel’s Fundraising efforts. 

In a recent interview with Punch the mixed race actress shed some light (no pun intended) on her personal life, growing up half caste, marrying a quarter caste & the challenges of being mixed in Nollywood.

On Growing up, here’s what the shapely actress had to say:

I am a half-caste and as a child, there was no colour difference- you are just happy with where you are and who you are with. Then, Ghanaians accepted people for who they are.  However, I am being told now that I am receiving more favours because of my fair complexion.   It seems people now have issues with coloured people.

On her relationship, the Ghanian actress had this to say:

I am married to a Ghanaian, who is a quarter-caste. His mother is half Lebanese and half Ghanaian. We met several years ago when he was living in the United States of America. I was attracted to his personality and intelligence. We kept in touch and got married three years ago when he relocated to Ghana.

On her challenges in the film industry:

Sometimes, it is related with my colour.  The fact that I am of a mixed race makes people think that I receive preferential treatment. That is a huge misconception.  There are times my colour is a disadvantage and I cannot get certain roles. They would rather give the role to a dark-skinned actor especially if both parents are dark in the movie. Sometimes, the fair-complexioned actors are cast in the roles of husband snatchers and other bad characters. People don’t know that we go through a lot.  It has been very challenging to get a role that can elevate my talent.

Read the rest of her interview HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...